Thursday, April 21, 2011

Kindle Review

I love to read. I love the feel of a book in my hand and feeling the turn of the page. I have loved reading since I was a child and still can tell you some of my favorite books from then. I have always been one to want to read a book  if there is a movie for it because the books are So much better. So when several of my friends started getting the Kindle or Nook I just could not see myself using one. I mean, I like the hold of a book! and I figure that if I were going to spend that kind of money on an item that I could just read on, I could save a little more and get a netbook computer, right?


Well my friend Emily got one, and I was at her house during my maternity leave on a playdate. She let me take my time playing with it, and I have to say since I was breastfeeding my son, It was nice to be able to hold the book with one hand and turn pages with just a finger. It allowed me to multi-task better. I also liked that it does have wi-fi built in. Other models are 3G so can be online anytime. So I figured I could also blog, check email, play online- so it was basically a smaller computer. I decided I liked it after all, and used my Christmas cash to get one for myself when they went on sale.

I Still love it. I have only downloaded free books and games so far, but there are kid books, like "Guess How Much I Love You!" which are illustrated. The Classics are always free. I was able to read to my daughter in the car, and on a train. It takes up so little space and can hold several hundred worth of books. Think of the clutter I can cut down on. I don't like that it is harder to loan out to a friend. So my friend Em has the Sookie Stackhouse books, and I can't borrow them from her when she is done reading them. Some books are loanable for 2 weeks, but there are more that are not. I have enjoyed the games and the online play. I can even do Facebook chat on my Wi-Fi version. I downloaded the Bible and have been able to take notes directly in the Kindle from the sermons. There are devotions, thrillers, and short stories. I haven't had any other issues with it. My 4 year old can use it for the games and her books as well.

I like that it saves my place. If I get busy talking on the phone, or a child needs me, or the TV catches my attention or the kitchen timer goes off, I don't have to remember to turn it off or save my place, it does it for me automatically and turns off to save the battery. Speaking of, the screen savers are pretty cool.

Kindle is coming out with the capability to borrow from online libraries soon which I think is a great feature.

My husband is Not a reader, but he has even picked it up to read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and is glad I have it. I talked my mom into getting one already. So I guess I give it 5 Stars!

Do you know any other tips for the ebook readers? What pro's and con's have you found?

Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)