Wednesday, November 9, 2011

{Allergy Free Cake and Icing}

I found this cake recipe that I decided to try with my son who has dairy, egg, corn, and nut allergies. Yep all that, plus a few others...YIKEs. His birthday is coming up and I needed to find something he could eat, and wanted to do a trial run of it to see how it would come out.
 
So she has a blog I have been following because of the allergy issue and she has great recipes (Milk Allergy Mom ) So I went here first looking to see if she had shared a cake, and this is one she makes for her dairy and egg and nut allergy boys. It even has flavor variations!!! Thank you so much Jamie for sharing your allergy journey and this cake recipe. Keep reading, pictures below.

Cake recipe and variations:
This is the chocolate cake recipe:

1.5 c flour
1 c sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder (for chocolate cake)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup oil
1 c cold water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine ingredients and pour into greased 8" or 9" square pan. Bake in oven until done. Check at about 20 minutes.

Substitutions:

VANILLA CAKE: omit cocoa, double vanilla, add 1/4 cup of more flour

SPICE CAKE: omit cocoa, add 1 Tb pumpkin spice, add 1/4 cup of more flour...and try Pillsbury dairy and egg free cream cheese icing!

ORANGE CAKE: omit cocoa & vinegar, use orange juice for the water, add 1/4 cup of more flour

LEMON CAKE: omit cocoa, use lemon juice for vinegar, can add some lemon extract, add 1/4 cup of more flour
 NOTE; when greasing cake pan- use NON DAIRY spray!! we usually use OLIVE OIL and just rub it on the pan with a flour sack cloth.

Icing Recipe
(From mom2sweetpea in a comment to the above cake)
My son is allergic to eggs, nuts & dairy. Because of him I've started taking cake decorating classes. I make my own buttercream frosting, and it is allergy-free for him too. This recipe is good if you want to do designs on your cakes because it will dry a bit and hold shapes. It is:
1 cup solid white vegetable shortening (I use Crisco-not the butter one!)
1 tsp of vanilla (use clear if you want the frosting to stay white-you can use other flavorings too)
7-8 tsp of water
1 lb pure can confectioner's sugar
Pinch of salt (this keeps it from being super sweet from all that sugar!)

Blend on medium until thoroughly mixed

I also add 3/4 cup cocoa sometimes to make it chocolate!


SO we were all a bit skeptical about how this would taste and turn out. Which is the main reason we wanted to check it out first.


 So they turned out pretty darn yummy. They were very moist, like melt in your mouth moist and we all enjoyed several of them. I will probably cook it a bit longer because they were almost too moist.maybe only 5 minutes or so extra.



As you can tell my girl thought they were really  yummy and had several that she herself decorated.


So yes I am pretty excited to have these to look forward to at my son's birthday party. I am so glad that he will have food that he can eat that is also yummy. I am excited that we will have a chance to make ONE cake or one batter for everyone without worrying someone won't like it or that some food could get contaminated and he could end up with a food he can't have.

Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)