Thursday, January 26, 2012

{Canvas photo gift}




I wanted to make a special heart gift for my sister and brother-in-law for Christmas. What parent doesn't love a gift that shows off their child.



Here are the materials I used:

  • one 8x10 canvas out of a 2-pack from Hobby Lobby
  • black tempera paint
  • sponge
  • spray adhesive
  • mod podge
  • scissors
  • and of course a picture of choice.
You may notice that the picture I used has been edited. I had asked my sister and brother-in-law to send me their current favorite picture of their daughter and some words, phrases, nicknames, or whatever that described her or meant something to them right now. Let me tell ya, that was such a neat thing to experience that relationship. So I just made the picture black and white and added these special words in various colors and fonts around her.


Next I put the black paint on my canvas and spread it around with the sponge. I wanted it to look a little rough and some white peek through. Then let it dry.

I trimmed the picture down and sprayed the back with Spray adhesive to figure out where to place it on the canvas and hold it while I added the mod podge.


So I spread the Mod Podge on in thin layers with a sponge. This gave it a matte finish. You have to let it dry and give it several layers of the mod podge to seal it well.



It turned out so good. I was very happy with how sweet it turned out and so were my sister and brother-in-law.


Pin It

Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)