Tuesday, April 3, 2012

{Guest Post} Scrapbooking






Creating A Hybrid Scrapbook Album

I am happy to post this awesome tutorial using one of my favorite digital software packages- My Memories Suite. This is a great way to put together the scrapbook online but use your craft and scrapbook supplies to make something more tangible. I love getting my craft on and am a bit of a sucker for scrapbooking supplies. I have been making scrapbooks since I was in middle school. (man are those entertaining to look back at now, supplies have come a long way). So check out this great tutorial.

If you have not purchased the software yet, you can do so here:




Use my code for a discount:

CODE: STMMMS72256
(I do get compensated if you use this)


By Barbara Eastwick
Level: Beginner to intermediate

Creating a hybrid scrapbook sounds much more 'technical' than it really is. "Hybrid" just mean that your project will incorporate some element of digital graphics and some element of tangible material. For this project we are using 5.5" x 5.5" Quick Pages that have been completed and printed out, scrapbooking paper, a 6" x 6" Accordian Style Create and Treasure blank book, gold paint and glue. The Quick Pages used in this project were created from the November RAKScraps Mega Kit. The completed quick pages were printed by my local store printer. The blank board book can be purchased at most craft stores, and they have so many sizes and shapes to choose from.  And, of course, the digital layouts can be easily made using MyMemories Suite Software!!

Here are the supplies I used:
These Blank Board Books are beautifully done and do not require any preparation before use. My layouts however, have a definite Fall theme, and as such I wanted to paint my blank board edges a deep antique gold. Note that I did not need to paint the entire board book, just the edges and a little bit of the pages, but most specifically, the inside and outside creases.
This album has 10 pages. I chose three scrapbook papers and I cut them down to 6" x 6" squares. I most certainly could have left my papers with a squared edge and just layered my printed Layouts on top of them, but I like the look that corner slot punches, and corner rounders give. I use the corner slot punch first on all four corners, and then used the corner rounder on each one.
From here I simply inserted my finished printed layouts into the corner slots. And this is the time where you would wish to take to a moment and see if you wish to add any other tangible embellishments. I'm adding paper flower embellishments with brad middles, tabs, cardstock stickers, labels, and more. Once you have your finished pages how you'd like them to be, simply adhere them to each page of the album. You want to use a very strong adhesive, preferably acid-free, to ensure the longevity of your project. If you use a liquid glue please be sure to watch for overruns and spills as you brayer the layer on to get the air bubbles out. If you use a two sided tape adhesive, you'll want to be sure to run your adhesive to the edges, so they don't peel off or fray over time. You certainly may sand and ink your edges, too, if you desire.
Here's my finished album. It can be folded and tied with a ribbon to present as a gift, or it can be opened and left on a mantle or shelf to be displayed!
Of course, using these few techniques - the options are limitless! You can create any size album, or any shape album!
Here's my next one! It's an 8" x 8" Board Book with my family's Christmas Layouts. These pages were created using the December RAKScraps Mega Kit, and had it printed.  It's far less expensive and much better quality than printing them out myself! I'll be making two of these and sending them off to the Grandmas!





If you have not purchased the software yet, you can do so here:






Use my code for a discount:

CODE: STMMMS72256
(I do get compensated if you use this)






Pin It

Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)