Tuesday, February 28, 2012

{DIY cupcake toppers}

I wanted to share with you how I put together the cupcake toppers I designed and made for my son's first birthday. I am sorry it has taken so long, since his birthday is in November and this post has mostly been written up in pieces since then. However, then the holidays rolled around, and then my focus has shifted to preparing for Baby Girl #2 arriving this month. So please forgive me.


I used the toppers both for the cupcakes and the cake for some decoration.





Here is a sample of the tractor topper I made and printed out. See the very short and basic step-by-step of how I made them here.


These are 1 inch circles, so to be simple I used a 1 inch circle punch to get them all punched quickly. Then I knew I wanted to layer them with some cardstock of some color. I did not have any bigger size circle punch. I was figuring 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch punch for the layered piece. I had looked and these are like 9.99 at least, and both Michaels and Hobby Lobby were out of this size. So I checked out a local downtown shop in Lincolnton, NC called Chic Custom Creations and I tell ya, I hit the jackpot.




I was able to use THEIR supplies/equipment- not paper for $5. I bought paper for 50 cent, and used their supplies to cut out my green and red 1 1/2 inch circles there and take them home to layer. This made my life to simple. I had planned to buy one and they did have it, but once I bought it and got home, no telling when I would have found time to do it. But I was kid free and sat down and got it done in less than 5 minutes. They were super helpful, offering suggestions and tips, helped me find what I needed. Koni- the owner, was not there. She was at a charity scrapbook event, but the staff that was there was very knowledgeable and kind, so I cannot imagine that Koni would be any different. They offer classes for various ages and levels through out the month.





So here is a picture of my green and red layer to see how it would look once I got home.


Then I just taped the 2 layers together and added toothpicks on the backs with tape and done!

This made for super simple decor for the cake and cupcakes. I also laid some of the extra around the tables and surfaces.


And one final looks at how they turned out!

I don't know about you, but I was very excited about how they look!



Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)