Monday, September 26, 2011

Book Birdhouse

{Book Birdhouse}

 This was something else I saw on pinterest that I knew I just HAD to do. I Love books and have trouble getting rid of them. So finding another use for them is great. I took pictures AFTER I had done it. So I didn't take a picture of the hard cover, but I just took a pair of scissors and cut the binding to get the cover off.

 Ok so you start off folding a page in half vertically


 Then fold the top corner down till it touches the spine- like you are dog-ear marking your page.
 Now I took this picture to show you the folds in the 2nd page. You are going to alternate your folding.
 First take the bottom of the page and fold it up towards the spine of the book,
 then take the top of that same page and fold it down towards the spine, so that it looks like the picture below.

 Then you just keep alternating the 2 folds until you run out of pages.
Your final project will look like a birdhouse. Some people add little dark circles to look like an opening. I didn't do that because I was happy with it the way it was. You can't tell from this picture, but it is only half of a birdhouse really. It wasn't a very big book, an old elementary school book about Abe Lincoln growing up. So it works perfectly butted up against a wall on top of my writing desk.

And just so that you don't have to scroll back up to the top for the "pretty" picture I will include it again here at the bottom.


Isn't it just so cute!


Now so I can give you an idea- this took about as much time as it takes me to do a Tutu, 1/2 hour to an hour. I just folded while I relaxed and watched TV. I did several projects this same day/weekend. For example, the window pane, the stool recovering, the kitchen rearrangement, the wreath..... If you have just a little bit of time, and plan ahead you can get a lot of projects done. Its hard to manage it sometimes being pregnant and having 2 kids under 4. I usually try to get things done while my littlest is napping. And thankfully the 4 year old likes to help.



Linking up to:

The Lettered Cottage

Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)