Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Can cleaning be fun?

How can you make cleaning fun?

I will admit that I do not enjoy cleaning. I do it in a mad dash with my hubby when company is coming over or when things start to look bad. I try to not stress over the clean house b/c having a newborn and toddler, means there is constant stuff sitting around, and I don't want to constantly harp on my 3yo to clean when I could be baking, playing outside, or snuggling with her and a book. So we intentionally have friends over sometimes just to make us clean up together. By decluttering and getting rid of lots of things it has saved time cleaning and doing laundry. I like the post below. I hope it gives you some good tips as well. I do like having the music.



A post from LifeasMOM Contributor, Prerna Malik

I love to clean. Really. Okay, maybe I’m not a big fan of dusting but boy, we do get a lot of dust in this part of the world. But, do you know why I enjoy cleaning so much?

I try to make it easy and fun for me and for everyone around me with a simple cleaning kit. Here’s how you, too, can put together a basic cleaning kit to keep your home clean and your heart happy:

A Cleaning Kit Checklist for the Home

A no-fuss, high-impact cleaning kit works best for a home with plenty of action through the day. Here’s what my basic cleaning kit has:

  • Microfiber cloths
  • Scrubbing brush
  • Spray bottle filled with my homemade vinegar-water cleaning solution
  • A small bottle filled with dishwashing liquid
  • A small jar of baking soda
  • Cloth dusters
  • Squeegee
  • Dustpan
  • Broom
  • Mop

I have a caddy that I tote from room-to-room for my everyday cleaning, stocked with these essentials. Since outsourcing my sweeping and mopping to a cleaning lady, I no longer need to tote the last three items, but before that, it helped to have these stored along with my cleaning caddy.

A Cleaning Kit Checklist for the Soul

What’s that? It’s a simple way to make cleaning fun and interesting. Here’s what you need:

Good music.

I find foot-tapping music an instant mood booster but you may want to drown yourself in Mozart. Choose anything that lifts your spirits and cheers you up as you go about scrubbing and wiping.

Conversation.

Since my husband is unwell and can’t really help me out with the physical part of cleaning, I use cleaning time to talk and converse. Being a talker, I enjoy sharing tidbits of my day or reminiscing over the past while cleaning the windows or washing the doors.

Games and Activities.

Every now and then, the act of cleaning does become mundane and boring. When I find this happening, I either challenge myself and set a timer to see how fast can I clean a room or I rope in my toddler and we try and out-clean each other.

We got her a toy cleaning kit for Christmas, quite like my own, complete with a broom, mop and small bucket. I’ve since added a small spray bottle with plain water, a small cloth duster and a clean sponge to the toy kit. ***smiling*** She has a ball trying to clean faster than me and I enjoy her company. Win-win!

There you are. A cleaning checklist that wouldn’t just leave your house looking nice but also, energize and refresh you.

How do YOU make cleaning fun?

– Prerna Malik is a mom, a wife, a writer and woman who believes in parenting with love, being postively productive, and creating a home that invites you to put your feet up and relax. Find her sharing her simple tips and easy-to-do ideas at The Mom Writes or follow her on Twitter.

Deals:

(clicking links helps fund this blog)